An incredible survey that has recently been conducted by My Voucher Codes has revealed that a whopping 58% of Brits looking to leave the UK behind want to head to sunny destinations during the winter. The results have recently been published on website easier.com and make for some interesting viewing. Christmas is famously a time for families to be together and whilst the results don’t necessarily suggest that families will separate for their travels, the traditional family Christmas at home looks to be turning into a thing of the past.
The survey itself asked 2,158 adults about their feelings on traveling during the winter months, all of those asked were over the age of 18 and was a mixture of both men and women. The first question asked was ‘Would you like to spend Christmas at home or away on holiday?’ to which a firm number (70%) declared that they wouldn’t. Of the remaining 30% the poll then asked ‘Where would you want to go?’ to which 58% of those who said they wanted to get away for the Christmas period declared that somewhere hot as top of their list in terms of where they wanted to go.
Whilst traveling for Christmas is nothing new, the huge amount of people wishing to go somewhere hot is different to what we have seen in the past. Here are the full set of results for where people wanted to go.
– Abroad somewhere hot – 58%
– Abroad somewhere cold – 23%
– A cottage in the UK – 12%
– A hotel in the UK – 5%
– Abroad seeing family – 2%
The My Voucher Codes survey then asked those answering the survey as to why they would want to go away for Christmas. The large majority said that they were simply looking to do something different, an interesting result considering how many homes and families have very fixed traditions when it comes to how they spend their Christmases. These were the other results:
– I want to have a change – 53%
– I don’t like the cold weather – 23%
– I want to go somewhere Christmassy like Lapland– 19%
– I don’t celebrate Christmas – 3%
– Family live abroad – 1%
– Get away from family – 1%
Results and Opinion
When asked about the results, the managing director of My Voucher Codes, Chris Reilly said that he could understand why the results were so in favor of heading abroad.
“Christmas can be a stressful time with pressure to create the ‘perfect’ Christmas for family and friends, coupled with the cold and miserable weather we can have at this time of year in the UK it can make people feeling a little glum. So it’s no surprise that many Brits want to get away from it all and go somewhere hot”
In the past, flight prices and holiday packages were extremely expensive during the winter months, especially at Christmas time but the reduction of prices and increased number of promotions seems to have given Brits enough temptation for them to quit the cold in search of a sunny climate. This number of Brits looking to leave the winter behind could see increased levels of tourism in many countries and a change of the face of the British Christmas.